Center / Program: Diversity Institute
Session Dates/Times: This workshop will be conducted in two parts:
*Part 1: Tuesday, October 10, 2023, 9am-12pm
*Part 2: Thursday, October 12, 2023, 9am-12pm
Location: Maxine Goodman Levin School of Urban Affairs (Room number will be provided later.)
Registration: Register for this workshop.
Future Workshops: Sign up to receive emails about future workshops from the Diversity Institute.
-This workshop is open to all CSU faculty, staff, and students.
- Part 1 must be completed by participant before they can attend Part 2 of Disability & Ableism.
-This workshop will be limited to 30 participants. If you would like to schedule a training specifically for your office, please contact email@example.com.
In this 2-part workshop, we will define disability and ableism, and unpack the challenges and triumphs of this specific community in the United States. We will focus on these impacts within higher education. We will review terminology and history in service of introducing the Disability Justice (DJ) framework, recognizing how ableism shows up in our lives, and planning for how we can create a more inclusive atmosphere in higher education. Part 1 is required before taking Part 2.
1. Learn about the history of Disability in the United States.
2. Increase awareness about inclusive language for the Disabled community.
3. Increase skills around recognizing ableism in our current institutions and systems.
1. Learn concepts of Disability Justice, accessibility, and Universal Design.
2. Gain awareness of how design can impact use and accessibility.
3. Develop skills to analyze spaces, experiences, and concepts from a Disability-informed perspective.
If you have general questions about this workshop please contact Caitlin Hawkins, Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Training, The Diversity Institute (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Maxine Goodman Levin School of Urban Affairs offers a wide range of custom designed courses, workshops, and seminars. See the Professional Development Course Listing for this semester's schedule.