IELP • Intensive English Language Program

IELP Application Form


IELP Application Process:

Students who want to study at the Intensive English Language Program must be non-native speakers of English, 18 years of age or older by the first day of classes and must complete the following application process:

The IELP will likely only have intermediate – advanced levels. Please send a proficiency test score before applying or arriving to Here are four common proficiency tests and the minimum you should have to study at Cleveland State University IELP this coming semester. We will keep this information updated for each semester. If you are transferring form another school, provide information about courses you have passed. iBT (internet-based TOEFL) 50 overall; IELTS 4.5 overall; ITEP Academic 3.0 overall or Duolingo 80 overall.

1. Pay the non-refundable application fee ($40) on Shopnet (  Choose Levin, Teacher Education - English as a Second Language Program.

a). Type in your first name, last name and birthdate (month and date). Click on English as a Second Language on the right side and click on “continue”.

b). Choose the correct semester (Summer, Fall or Spring) for application fee payment click on “checkout”.

c). Fill out the credit card information and submit. You will receive confirmation of your payment.

2. Complete this application form.

  •  You must go to the end and press the “Submit” button.
  •  You must all questions with *.
  •  If you need a Form I-20 (for a visa), you must send your financial documents (bank or scholarship information) at this time.
  •  If you do not need a Form I-20, you do not need to send the documents.

3.Optional: If you are also applying to Cleveland State University, you can send your most recent high school or college transcripts (school records) translated into English.

4. If you were unable to submit your documents with the application, you can email them to or mail them to us.

Express Mailed to:
        English as a Second         
        Language Program
        Cleveland State University
        2605 Euclid Avenue MM 205
        Cleveland, OH 44115-2214 USA
        Express Mailing I
        Instructions: Click Here!
Mailed to:
        English as a Second Language Program
        Cleveland State University
        2121 Euclid Avenue, MM 205
        Cleveland, OH 44115-2214 USA
Emailed to:  

Apply Now Button

Acceptance to the IELP does not guarantee acceptance to Cleveland State University.  For information about admission to Cleveland State University, please go to


Statement of Financial Responsibility

All international students must show financial (tuition and living expenses) support for the length of time that they plan to study or at least one semester or summer session. (See Costs on website). Financial documentation must be sent in order for Cleveland State University to issue a Form I-20 . The financial verification and Form I-20 must be presented at the U.S. Embassy or consulate when applying for an F-1 Visa.

Please have two original financial documents prepared:

  • One for Cleveland State University and
  • One to present to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

All documents must be in English, original, dated and issued within the past 6 months. The originals must be in English or must be sent with official translations. You must have one or a combination of the following documents.

  1. An original bank statement in your name showing the amount of funds available in U.S. dollars.
  2. An original bank statement in your guarantor's name (sponsor or
    parent) that indicates the amount (in U.S. dollars) available accompanied by a letter of confirmation from the guarantor of his or her intention to provide support. The bank statement MUST indicate a minimum amount held in the account, on bank stationary with a telephone and FAX number for the branch and street address.
  3. A letter from your guarantor's employer accompanied by a letter from the guarantor confirming his or her intention to provide support. The guarantor's salary must be at least twice the amount that he or she plans to provide.
  4. A letter of support from your government or other sponsoring agency that indicates the amount available and additional provisions, such as health insurance coverage. Please provide a signed copy of the award letter with billing instructions. You should also send a copy to Bursar's office once you arrive in order for the billing to take place.

If your documents indicate an amount in a currency other than U.S. dollars we will convert the amount according to the exchange rate on
the day we receive your financial support documents.


You will receive an automatic confirmation when you hit send.  If anything is missing, it will tell you what to fix.  When we receive your application, we will mail you information about your next steps.  If you do not hear from us within two weeks, please call us at (216) 875-9669. Please give us an e-mail address on your application, if you have one.

Payment Information

Full Payment

A.    Go to Treasury Services-Cashier’s office (BH 1st floor) and pay by cash, check, or money order. If you are doing third party billing, speak with the ESL office.

B.     You can also pay by electronic check or credit card (AE, MC, D) on Campusnet.  If you have your id # and password, so you can pay online.

C.    If you need to do a wire transfer (bank to bank), please get information from the ESL office ( or 216-875-9669).

D.      If you are staying on campus, have Fenn Tower or Euclid Commons information added to your ID card.

Payment Plan (4 Payments)

A.    Go to Treasury Services in order to set up the Budget Payment Plan. You must sign the form and give it to the Cashier’s Office (BH 1st floor) with the first payment. One fourth (1/4) of your bill is due at this time.  

B.     The types of payment are the same as above.

C.    The ESL office will have information about the exact dates when payments are due.

*If you are not registered yet, the tuition will not show on your bill.  Check your bill/campusnet for the exact date or with the IELP office if you are unsure.

Please note:  Treasury Services will not accept payment on Visa cards.  They will accept Mastercard, Discover or American Express with online payments.  They will continue to accept cash, checks, money orders, traveler’s checks and bank wire transfers.

Withdrawal/Refund Policy

Your course fee will be refunded or your bill cancelled if you withdraw from a course during the first two weeks of classes. Other partial refunds will be granted based on the University schedule policy. You must call (216) 875-9669 or come to the ESL office to withdraw. If you do not withdraw, but stop going to classes, you will be responsible for the full tuition.


If you need assistance, call us at (216) 687-2144 before your first class meeting for information about classroom accessibility.


If we have to cancel a class, we will notify you immediately. You may choose to transfer to another class or receive a full tuition refund.


Please contact the IELP/ESL offices at if you will have a car and need to park on campus.