The School Counseling program is a CACREP approved 48 semester-hour program that leads to licensure in the state of Ohio as a school counselor.In addition to successful completion of all program coursework, candidates for the School Counselor license must pass the Ohio Assessments for Educators School Counselor Exam (OAE-40). Note: As of January, 2003, a teaching credential is no longer required to apply for the license.
To plan your school counseling program, please click on any link below for the School Counseling Program located here. If you need a program of study, it is located under Program Requirements under the Menu.
Objectives of School Counseling Specialization
- Education of counseling students
- To educate and prepare School Counseling students who meet all Ohio standards for licensure as School Counselors.
- To provide training across the 8 common core areas as identified by CACREP. These are: Professional Counseling Orientation and Ethical Practice, Social and Cultural Diversity, Human Growth & Development, Career Development, Counseling and Helping Relationships, Group Counseling and Group Work, Assessment and Testing, Research and Program Evaluation
- Advancement of program excellence
- Promote professional counselor identity with students through involvement in professional counseling organizations.
- That our faculty contribute to the field of Counselor Education at the national level through publications, presentations, and membership in professional counseling organizations and service.
- To maintain our CACREP accreditation for our School Counseling program.
- Community Service
- To provide service to the greater Cleveland area through Continuing Education workshops, pro bono presentations, and consultation.
- Provide service to the profession.
CACREP Vital Statistics
- The number of Program graduates from the 2018-2019 academic year is 21.
- The Program completion rate is 95%.
- The licensure or certification examination pass rate is 100% on first attempt.
- The job placement rate 59%.
Application Deadline: None (rolling admission)
Minimum G.P.A: 2.75
GRE Requirement: Required GRE or MAT.
Letters of Recommendation: Required.
Degree Completion Requirements
Specialization leading to a Education, M.Ed. degree.
Forty-eight credit hours leading to a degree.
Degree Completion Requirements: link to Grad catalog
- How to Apply
- Background Check Info
- Counseling Master Schedule
- Praticum Requirements
- Internship Requirements
- School Counseling Program of Study
- Timeline for Graduation of SC.docxTimeline for Graduation of SC.docx
- Timeline for Graduation of SC.docx
- Counseling Student Handbook
- School and Clinical Mental Health Counseling Handbook
- Ohio School Counselor Assessment Registry page