Public Affairs Student Services Center

Urban Affairs Nondegree Graduate Student Information


Graduate Non-degree Option

Non-degree status allows students who have an earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution to take graduate level courses within the Maxine Goodman Levin School of Urban Affairs.  Non-degree students are required to meet all course prerequisites.  Students may attempt up to 16 credit hours with non-degree status for School of Urban Affairs graduate programs

All courses taken with non-degree status require departmental consent.  Newly admitted non-degree students must meet with the Graduate Programs Coordinator in order to enroll.  Non-degree students are restricted to certain required core courses toward their intended degree program.  These specific courses will be communicated to all non-degree students by the Graduate Programs Coordinator. 

In order to be considered for degree-seeking admission, non-degree students must earn a minimum “B” grade in each attempted course, as well a minimum 3.00 cumulative graduate GPA.  If a student earns less than “B” in any course, the course must be repeated.  There will be one permitted repeat attempt of a course.  Applicants to a degree-seeking program must submit all required admission application materials required by the intended program of study.  Additional regulations regarding non-degree status are listed in the Graduate Catalog.

Taking courses as a non-degree student does not guarantee admission to a graduate program.

All non-degree students must complete a quantitative assessment in order to determine placement into either UST 504 or UST 601.